Monday, 9 January 2012

366 Photo Project: January 1st-7th


One of my goals for 2012 is to use my camera (Canon 500D) more often. In the process, I'm hoping to learn how to use it to its full potential. I figured the best way to do this would be to start 366 Photo-A-Day Project. These kind of projects are always easier to get started if you've got prompt to work from, and I'm taking my January prompts from Chantelle.

I'm not sure what I'll do from February onwards, but I'll share everything here as the year goes on. Here are my first week of pictures, with short pieces on how I interpreted the prompts.


There were clearer pictures of me in the steamed up, post-shower, bathroom mirror, but I wasn't quite comfortable with letting that much of my bare face to be seen in public. Maybe as the project goes on I'll feel more able to reveal myself. We shall see.


It doesn't matter what I eat for breakfast. If there is cereal, toast, bacon, eggs, porridge and there's no cup of tea, it's just not a proper breakfast. It was the only thing I needed to photograph.


My grandad was in the navy for several years. When he died and we scattered his ashes at sea, my grandma commented that we were returning him to his first love. He wore this gold anchor every day and I wore it the day of his funeral. On the day we scattered the ashes, my grandma gave it to me. I was so pleased that she felt like I should have it. It's one of my most precious possessions and I always feel a little  taller when I wear it. 

I'm surprised my postman hasn't disowned me. I've got an ever growing number of magazine subscriptions and he never once complains about the reams of shiny paper he has to shove through the letterbox at the beginning of every month. Well, not publicly anyway. We'll call them an occupational hazard for the both of us. 

I had originally wanted to get an action shot of the perfume I wore on Thursday. There are countless fuzzy outtakes and the carpet has been emanating a floral scent for days. Instead, I decided the try and capture the pattern of my winter jumper. I love that the house in the middle is in focus and 'items closer to the camera' are a little blurred. 

It's often very difficult for me to spend time in busy shops and restaurants. Lots of quick movement exacerbates my persistent vertigo. I almost never attempt it if I don't have a friend or a family member to hold on to, but on Friday I went to a meeting about going back to work after surgery. The building happens to be next to a COSTA. I struggled, but I managed to buy myself a coffee to celebrate. That made me smile. 

Reading cookbooks is my absolute favourite thing. If anyone wants to pay me to do it for a living, I'll happily do so. On Saturday, the stormy weather finally settled. When the sun briefly came out I took some cookbooks outside with a cuppa, threw on a jacket and filled my lungs with some desperately needed fresh air. 



Vintage camera illustration in header by Christine Berrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment