Saturday, 5 November 2011

A moment of clarity

You know those times in the middle of the night when you wake up with a start and seem to have a moment of complete clarity? 'I need a new job', 'my husband's an imbecile', 'I think the cat hates me' - that sort of thing. I had one of those fog clearing episodes a couple of weeks ago. 

I woke up at some ungodly hour, sat bolt upright and thought.... "I need teriyaki salmon. Now!" Oh that heavenly combination of soft salmon and the both sweet and savoury glaze. I needed it! Had someone handed me a plateful I would have devoured the whole sticky lot in a heartbeat. It wasn't a life changing prophecy, admittedly, but what the subconscious wants, the subconscious gets. Unless you have vivid dreams about robbing a diamond store, in which case, best hold off on the whole listening to your subconscious thing. Thursday night I dreamt I was making purple meringue, which I'm taking as a clear sign that I should revisit the failed macaroons I made several months ago. 

I vowed in my sleepy state to cook some teriyaki salmon as soon as I possibly could. I used this recipe and cooked the sesame rice and beans to go with it - with white basmati rice. I don't do brown rice. It was worth waiting a few days until I had everything in stock, and now just typing this is making me crave it all over again. Let me find the phone number for the Japanese take-away.......


No comments:

Post a Comment