Thursday, 27 October 2011

A Short Detour

For all that I crave the rich, starchy, weightiness of autumnal food - and there has been a lot of cream-laden indulgence lately - sometimes a little light(ish) relief is required. Last night I revisited a Donna Hay recipe for Caramelised Onion, Feta and Potato Tarts and coupled them up with lamb's lettuce, beetroot leaves and a bean salad. Having accidentally bought pancetta cubes instead of rashers (I do this regularly, like a fool), I grilled the little pieces of bacon separately and sprinkled them over the tarts at the end to avoid them being fat-logged. It wasn't particularly elegant, but anything generously covered in salty nuggets of bacon can be forgiven for not being the prettiest thing in the world as far as I'm concerned.


It felt a little strange scoffing salad with a roaring fire in the background, but hey, a girl cannot survive six months of fish pie, bangers & mash and sticky toffee pudding without the odd moment of respite. And just to ease myself back into autumn after a slight return to summer, I used the leftover puff pastry to make some miniature cinnamon and raisin sweet pastries and devoured the lot with a cup of tea in front of the fire - pyjamas, cardigan and slippers in situ.






No comments:

Post a Comment