Sunday, 11 September 2011

Salt, but not as we know it

I absolutely adore foreign food products. The ones I love the most are the things so commonplace in their location of origin that nobody even notices them until someone from another country or region points out how exotic they are. I also love how the same products can have completely different packaging in different countries. The tiny differences on the front of Coca Cola cans in other countries, for example, fascinate me.

When a lovely Australian lady started waxing lyrical on Twitter about the flavour explosion that is Chicken Salt, I had to get my hands on some. I ordered a tub from the SANZA shop, which is a goldmine of tantalising treats from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. How I managed to keep my order total under £20 is a mystery. That kangaroo oven mitt should and will be mine! A taped-up, cardboard pineapple lumps box arrived on Tuesday and I swiftly ripped the packing apart in my excitement to taste the chickeny powder. I licked my finger, sprinkled some on and tasted. It was nice. Kind of like celery salt but a little more…..savoury. At the time I was a little disappointed. I was expecting more. Maybe it just didn’t travel well. 

I had been told that the best way to eat this stuff was to scatter it over chips and it even confirmed as much on the shaker, so that’s exactly what I did. 


Not that I need an excuse to shovel chips into my mouth, of course, but I ordered up a chippy tea (consisting of a beef & onion pie and chips) on Thursday night to put it to the test. I even declined gravy so as not to interfere with the experiment. 


I unwrapped the paper, allowed the intoxicating smell of warm oil, fluffy potato and hot vinegar to hit my nose and vigorously shook the Chicken Salt all over the steaming chips. I gave it a few seconds for the oil to absorb the powder, making it part of the chip, and ate. Ah-ha! It was like dipping the chips in that mysterious, gorgeous, red seasoning that coats the ever spinning rotisserie chicken in the chip shop. It seems some things just need grease to come to life. I am converted! And converted to the point where the thought of chucking normal salt on my chips will never do again. How pedestrian! 

Now, let’s see what else I can get from the SANZA shop. I’m already down to my last two bottles of this…..


No comments:

Post a Comment